Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Man fatally stabbed after Texans viewing party

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The search for suspects after a man is stabbed to death in a neighborhood where a huge Houston Texans watch party was going on.

That stabbing happened Sunday night on the north side. The party was happening in a yellow house in the 4700 block of McEwen near Cavalcade. But once things spilled out into the street, the victim was stabbed two doors down, in front of his own house.

Neighbor Jerry Laramore said, "Every time there's a ball game, there's a lot of people out there."

Laramore says waking up to a lot of noise outside his window during a Texans game, is not unusual. But Sunday night, there was more than noise.

"I heard them fighting," said neighbor Vickie Cruz. "I just heard bottles, slamming bottles. That's what I heard was cracking bottles."

Police say after the Texans game wrapped up, officers got a call for help. They arrived to break up what cops describe as a large street brawl. But before they got to the scene, one man was stabbed. Family rushed him to Ben Taub Hospital, where he later died.

"Oh yeah, I knew him well. He called me uncle," said Laramore. "I'm not really his uncle but he called me uncle. All the kids do."

The victim's name isn't being released until his entire family is notified. His sister told me he was just 20 years old, and the father of a two-year-old baby girl.

"He was a really nice guy," said neighbor Joann Chapa. "I can't believe this happened to him. He never harmed nobody, he never did nothing to nobody."

Cruz just chatted with the young victim on Sunday, and now asks the same question police are working to answer as well.

"When his sister told me this morning I just broke down crying," she recalled. "I said, 'What happened?'"

The suspect is still at large. Police say they are following up on leads, but anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

(Copyright ©2012 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.) Get more Local »


local, sonia azad

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment